Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

6 Things my mom taught me about beauty/fashion.

My mom and I at 2 months old

Thanksgiving 2013

At my engagement party, April 2015

Today will be a special post dedicated to my mom because it is her 58th birthday! I still can't believe it, and people don't believe it when she says her age. Maybe it's good genetics (humblebrag), but she also has taught me a thing or 2 about beauty and fashion. She gets it from my grandma (her mother), who always sported bright lipstick and dyed her hair black even in her 70's, and would always get compliments on her outfits in church. And my grandma, even at currently 94 years old, still has skin my cousins and I envy. Unlike other moms, she encouraged me to try makeup in middle school (of course, I just limited it to eyeshadow, eyeliner, lip gloss and glitter). Although she did get upset when I cut the front of my hair into bangs, and I ended up not liking it so I cut it all the way to my head! I looked like a parrot! When I was a freshman in high school, she didn't bat an eyelash when I started dressing at Hot Topic with studded bracelets, safety pins, plaid skirts and punk Hello Kitty or band t-shirts (I do look back and wonder WTF was I thinking?!)

She was also a flight attendant back in the 80's, which is considered one of the most coveted jobs for Filipino women, and she worked at Clinique as a Product Manager all over the Philippines. I love raiding her closet, that's how good of fashion taste she has for age! So here are some nuggets of wisdom she has passed down to me:

1. When it comes to job interviews, be impeccable. You don't have to be drop dead gorgeous, but you have to make sure your nails are clean, eyebrows and hair are groomed, outfits on point, and shoes match. That's the easy stuff, and it's best to get that out of the way in order to focus on the difficult parts of an interview (what you are going to answer them). Because we live in a visual world, and if 2 people have the same education and job experience, the one who looks more put together is going to be more likely the candidate.

2. Shoes tie in together the whole outfit. They make or break it. Seriously, my mom is a huge shoe lover and takes care of them really well. I like shoes too, but I'm not crazy about them as I am with makeup. I am in serious dire in new shoes though, and as much as I love Converses and sneakers, I know those alone won't suffice.

3. Wear eye cream and follow a skin care regime regularly. She started wearing eye cream in her 20's.

4. Don't go out in sweats (a thing I used to do). Of course you don't have to be dolled up to run errands, but you don't want to be sloppy either. I find that dressing sloppy reflects on my actions, whereas when I dress up a bit, I exude more confidence and determination to work hard.

5. Take care of your jewelry, you don't know when it will be passed down! She has been a huge fan of RocksTV (A UK jewelry auction) and has bought us so many gifts from them. I have an opal and emerald ring and garnet earrings there, so I make sure they are in my jewelry box. Also, she has parts of my dad's ashes are in a tiny charm, which I will absolutely never get rid of. And lastly, my engagement ring from Cecilio serves as a reminder to take care of my jewelry.'

6. Last but not least, love yourself, be proud of your accomplishments and know who you are in Christ. I do struggle with it because I've always had confidence issues my whole life. This is definitely an inner-beauty lesson.

Has your mom passed down beauty/fashion/life lessons to you? What have you learned from her?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar